The Ontario Public School Boards’ Association Awards Program strives to recognize some of the outstanding contributions made by individuals across Ontario to our educational system. While it is impossible to honour all those special people who make a difference, the recipients of these awards represent the many people who work behind the scenes and make our schools and educational system better.
The OPSBA awards honour dedicated people who demonstrated their own commitment to public education and showed us the way. We congratulate the recipients of these awards.
2022 OPSBA Awards
Know an amazing trustee, teacher, education worker, student or community member who deserves to be recognized for making a difference in their local school or community? Nominations for the 2022 OPSBA Awards are now open! The nomination form can be accessed online.
The nomination deadline for all awards, except for the Bernardine Yackman Memorial Award was April 1, 2022.
The nomination deadline for the Bernardine Yackman Memorial Award was June 9, 2022.
The recipient of this student award is selected on the basis of a sound academic record throughout their career, accompanied by outstanding community service and leadership. The 2022 Award of Merit was presented to Alexandra Elmslie, John F. Ross Collegiate, Upper Grand DSB.
A Certificate of Recognition was awarded to the following students:
- Jessica Kellow, Englehardt HS, Upper Grand DSB
- Tabarak Al-Delaimi, Sir Wilfred Laurier, Ottawa Carleton DSB
These awards are presented by local boards to volunteers for outstanding, exemplary and/or unique contributions to the overall well-being of the school or community through in-school, board-wide, extra-curricular and/or volunteer activity. The 2021 Award of Excellence was presented to Erin Kahkonen, President, Gorham and Ware Home and School Association, Lakehead DSB.
OPSBA Achievement Awards were presented to the following individuals:
- Chris and Robin Cooper, Algoma DSB
- Elizabeth Carlton, Bluewater DSB
- Aline Saleem, Durham DSB
- Stephen Crowther, Durham DSB
- Carolynn McCarron, Durham DSB
- Stephanie Vesey, Durham DSB
- Rihanna Harris, Hastings and Prince Edward DSB
- Carl Creatchman, Hamilton-Wentworth DSB
- Pamela Spragg, Hamilton-Wentworth DSB
- Brenda Gardiner, Hamilton-Wentworth DSB
- Alison Lyver, Kawartha Pine Ridge DSB
- Sheri Meiklejohn, Kawartha Pine Ridge DSB
- Patti Freeburn, Kawartha Pine Ridge DSB
- Constance Hodson, Principal, Kawartha Pine Ridge DSB
- Dawn Magee, Keewatin-Patricia DSB
- Fergus Penner, Keewatin-Patricia DSB
- Cecile Marcino, Keewatin-Patricia DSB
- Erin Kahkonen, Lakehead DSB
- Dan Hendry, Limestone DSB
- Louri Snider, Limestone DSB
- Anne McCrank, Near North DSB
- Angela Ayeni, Peel DSB
- Tracy Alli, Peel DSB
- Caroline Alli, Early Childhood Educator, Peel DSB
- Yonnette Dey, Peel DSB
- Patrika Daws, Peel DSB
- Mr. Hutchins, Simcoe County DSB
- Christopher Klassen, Simcoe County DSB
- Mona Parsram, Simcoe County DSB
- Jonathan Carr, York Region DSB
The Bernardine Yackman Memorial Award honours a trustee who has served a Northern Ontario public school board. Nominations are reviewed at the end of June and presented at the Northern Region Meeting and Program in October. Judging for the award takes place in September. The last recipient was Trustee Wanda McQueen, Algoma DSB in 2017.
The President’s Award recognizes persons with 25 years of trustee service in public education. The 2022 recipients are:
- Jane Bryce, Lambton Kent DSB
- Rose Kitney, Kawartha Pine Ridge DSB
- Angela Lloyd, Kawartha Pine Ridge DSB
- Susan Thayer, Algoma DSB
- John Hendry, Waterloo Region DSB
- Marilyn McComb, Bluewater DSB
This award is given to an active or retired public school trustee for outstanding service as a public school trustee. The 2022 recipient is Trustee Judith Brown, Limestone DSB.
The Fred L. Bartlett Memorial Award is given to an active or retired member of the teaching profession for outstanding contribution to education in Ontario. This may consist of constructive participation in education affairs over a number of years or for work on some recent and specific project which has had provincial impact. The 2022 recipient is Kimiko Shabata, Teacher, Waterloo Region DSB.
- Guidelines for Awards Jurying
- Nominations Submission Guidelines and Nomination Form
- Achievement Award/Award of Excellence
- Bernardine Yackman Memorial Award
- Dr. Harry Paikin Award of Merit
- Fred L. Bartlett Memorial Award
- Jack A. MacDonald Award of Merit
- President’s Award
For further information, contact email@example.com.