The mission of the Ontario Public School Boards’ Association (OPSBA) is to promote and enhance public education by: helping Member Boards to fulfil their mandates; developing effective partnerships with other groups interested in public education; and providing a strong and effective voice on behalf of public education in Ontario.
OPSBA believes that the role of public education is to provide universally accessible education opportunities for all students regardless of their ethnic, racial or cultural backgrounds, social or economic status, individual exceptionality, or religious preference. Excellence in education is achieved by:
- Promoting high standards of individual achievement;
- Providing the understanding and basic skills required for active, compassionate participation in the life of the family, the community, the province, the nation, and a global society;
- Cultivating a love of learning;
- Employing highly qualified, highly motivated teachers, strongly committed to ongoing professional development;
- Recognizing the value of diversity among learners and communities; and
- Exploring creative educational alternatives.
To maintain excellence, the public school system must be accountable to the community it serves and must build effective partnerships throughout the community.
Local, elected school boards play a key role as part of a democratic process of checks and balances in decision-making by ensuring that schools remain responsive to both provincial program requirements and local needs and resources.