Ontario Public School Boards’ Association elections will be held as part of the Annual General Meeting (AGM) from June 8 to 10, 2023 at Blue Mountain, Collingwood.
Information about elected positions and the nomination process is summarized below. More details are available in the OPSBA Guide to Roles and Responsibilities and Candidates’ Election Guide. All trustees, candidates and (Voting) Delegates are encouraged to familiarize themselves with these documents prior to submitting nominations and/or voting at the AGM.
Nomination Deadline: Tuesday, May 9, 2023 @ 4:30 p.m.
A list of nominees and their biographies will be published in the OPSBA Election Guide and distributed to member boards and (Voting) Delegates. It will also be posted on the OPSBA AGM page.
ELECTIONS FOR 2023-2024 POSITIONS
The positions of President, First Vice-President and Second Vice-President were elected for a two-year term at the 2022 AGM and will end upon election of a successor at the 2024 AGM.
Elections for the following positions for each of the five Regional Councils (Central East, Central West, Eastern, Northern and Western) will occur at each regional meeting at the AGM.
- Regional Chair*
- Regional Vice-Chair
- Two regional representatives and one alternate on the Policy Development Work Group
- Two regional representatives and one alternate on the Education Program Work Group
* The five Regional Chairs are members of Executive Council and the Board of Directors along with the President, First Vice-President, Second Vice-President, Indigenous Trustees’ Council Chair and Enrolment Representatives.
Selection of Board of Directors members to represent the group of School Authorities, Childrens’ Treatment Centres and the Indigenous Trustees’ Council will occur separately.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR CANDIDATES
Regional Chair Positions
- Any trustee currently serving on a member board is eligible to run for this position.
- The nomination deadline is 30 days prior to the AGM. Nomination forms and biographies must be received by 4:30 p.m. on Tuesday, May 9, 2023.
- Details about the nomination process are outlined below and in the Candidates’ Election Guide
- Nominations for the position of Regional Chair will ONLY be accepted from the floor at Regional Council meetings if no nominations have been received in advance. If only one nomination is received by the nomination deadline for these positions, that person shall be declared acclaimed and it will be noted in the AGM Handbook.
- Candidates who are interested in standing for more than one position are encouraged to declare their interest (using the nomination form) in each position by the nomination deadline. This will help member boards and voting delegates in their deliberations in advance of the AGM and Regional elections.
Regional Vice-Chair and Regional Representatives on Core Issue Work Groups
- To be eligible to run for the position of Regional Vice-Chair, candidates must be appointed to the OPSBA Board of Directors by their member board, group of school authorities or children’s treatment centres or Indigenous Trustees’ Council and confirmed at the regional meeting.
- More information about the confirmation and nomination processes is outlined below and in the Candidates’ Election Guide.
- Any trustee currently serving on a member board is eligible to be a member of a Core Issue Work Group.
- Advance nominations are encouraged; however, the nomination and election process, for the position of Regional Vice-Chair (alternate to the Regional Chair) and regional representatives on the Education Program and Policy Development Work Groups, permits nominations to be taken from the floor at the regional meeting.
- During regional meetings at the AGM, elections to select regional members and alternate members to serve on the Education Program and Policy Development Work Groups will be held. Northern Sub-Region East and Northern Sub-Region West areas will each elect one representative and one alternate to each of the work g
- Nominees are asked to submit their nomination and a one-page biography by 4:30 p.m. on Tuesday, May 9, 2023.
Nominations and Biographies
- Nominations can be made by any trustee from a member board, in good standing, once they have confirmed the nominee is eligible and willing to stand for the Self-nomination is permitted.
- The nomination and a brief biography (in an electronic format) for each candidate must be submitted no later than 4:30 p.m. on Tuesday, May 9, 2023, by email to email@example.com.
- Candidate biographies should be no longer than one page in length and include the candidate’s This information will be included in the Elections Guide.
Confirmation of Board of Directors Members for 2023-2024
- At regional elections held at the AGM, (Voting) Delegates from each member board will confirm their school board’s appointed Board of Directors member(s) and alternate(s). This will happen prior to the election of Regional Vice-Chair.
- School authorities, children’s treatment centres and the Indigenous Trustees’ Council will meet separately (ideally prior to the AGM) and select their representative on the Board of They will each provide confirmation of their Board of Directors representative (and alternate) to the Director of Corporate Affairs.
All nomination and election material will be available on the OPSBA AGM and Program page.