OPSBA hosts its Advocacy Day on Monday, November 25. There are three more sitting weeks left in the fall session with the Legislative Assembly of Ontario rising on Thursday, December 12, 2019. Please see below for an update on recent items.
Bill 138, Plan to Build Ontario Together Act, 2019
This legislation was introduced on November 6, 2019 by Minister of Finance Rod Phillips and is the legislation to support the Fall Economic Statement which includes amendments to 40 different Acts. It remains at Second Reading Debate. Schedules of Interest include:
- SCHEDULE 3, Cannabis Control Act, 2019
- SCHEDULE 32, Provincial Day of Action on Litter Act, 2019
- SCHEDULE 37, Supply Chain Management Act (government, broader public sector and health sector entities), 2019
Bill 116, Foundations for Promoting and Protecting Mental Health and Addictions Services Act, 2019
This legislation was introduced on May 27, 2019, by Minister of Health, Christine Elliott. It enacts two Schedules, the Mental Health and Addictions Centre of Excellence Act, 2019, and the Opioid Damages and Health Costs Recovery Act, 2019. It remains at Second Reading Debate.
Education Development Charge Policy Framework Update – Memo B20
On November 8, 2019, the Ministry of Education issued memo B20, Education Development Charge Policy Framework Update. The memo follows their earlier consultation work reviewing the EDC framework to indicate that amendments have been made to the Ontario Regulation 20/98 (Education Development Charges – General) and Ontario Regulation 444/98 (Disposition of Surplus Real Property). The amendments include changes to EDC Rate Restrictions, Alternative Projects, Notification of Site Acquisitions and EDC Rate Calculations.
OPSBA sent in a submission after coordinating our work with the Ontario Association of School Business Officials (OASBO). Our submission focused on our continued advocacy for an increase in the charges to cover the actual costs of sites and the flexibility to support boards experiencing areas of growth.
- November 22, 2019 News Release – Fresh from the Farm Raises Extracurricular School Funds and Local Food Awareness
- November 21, 2019 News Release – Ontario Brings Learning Into The Digital Age
- November 21, 2019 News Release – Ontario Investing in Indigenous Economic Development Across the Province
- November 21, 2019 News Release – Ontario Building Smarter Government Through Transfer Payment Consolidation
- November 18, 2019 Statement – Minister of Education calls for Mediation
- November 18, 2919 – Memo SB24, 2018-19 Financial Statements Forms for School Authorities (Isolate Boards)
- November 12, 2019 – Memo SB23, 2018-19 Audit Committee Annual Report to the Ministry
- November 4, 2019 – Memo SB22, 2018-19 Financial Statements Forms for Section 68 School Authorities