The Legislative Assembly of Ontario remains adjourned for Winter Recess with Members of Provincial Parliament returning on February 21, 2023.
ATTENTION ALL Trustees — 2022-2026 Good Governance Guide
OPSBA, in partnership with the Ontario Education Services Corporation (OESC), is excited to announce the release of this comprehensive guide, which has been expertly crafted to provide all school trustees with the knowledge they need to effectively govern their school boards. The fully updated Good Governance: A Guide for Trustees, School Boards, Directors of Education, and Communities is now available in electronic version and can be accessed here: 2022-2026 Good Governance Guide.
Note: Hard copies of the Guide will be distributed to Trustees and Directors of Education attending the upcoming Public Education Symposium in Toronto. OPSBA will follow up with those trustees who are unable to attend the symposium and ensure printed copies are sent directly to the board offices.
REMINDER: 2023 Provincial Budget Consultations
The government has now posted the budget consultation’s online survey, with a deadline of February 10, 2023. The survey includes nine questions with one that relates to education as a consideration for a provincial budget priority. OPSBA encourages everyone to participate in the survey. To see the survey questions, visit the survey. We thank you for your advocacy in this opportunity to directly communicate with the government that public education is a priority. School boards require strong, predictable, and equitable education funding in order to set the conditions that promote and sustain improved student achievement and well-being.
Written submissions, including budget recommendations, can also be submitted to the Minister of Finance and these are to be received by the same deadline. As previously noted, the Ministry of Finance will be holding in-person consultations across the province. To see details on locations and how to request to present, visit Notice of Hearings – 2023 Pre-Budget Consultation. A reminder that OPSBA has sent in requests for our President and our Indigenous Trustees’ Council Chair to present to the Committee and the Association will be submitting a version of its GSN document.
Note: The spring 2023 Budget must be tabled by March 31, 2023.
New Regulations and Statutes
On December 30, the government announced a number of regulations and statutes that came into force on January 1, 2023. They are listed by ministry and those under the Ministry of Education relate to child care, the Canada-wide Early Learning and Child Care (CWELCC) funding, and lodging at provincial and demonstration schools in Ontario. Also of note, are these amendments:
- Ministry of Citizenship and Multiculturalism – The Ontario government, in accordance with a regulation under the Anti-Racism Act, 2017 and the Anti-Racism Data Standards, is requiring all Ontario school boards to collect race-based data as it relates to academic performance, special education received and suspensions, expulsions or a decision of a principal to refuse to admit students to a school or classroom.
- Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing – To eliminate duplication, the Chief Electoral Officer is being given the authority to create a register of voters that can be used for both provincial and municipal elections.
Other News Releases and Information
- January 11, 2023: News Release, Pharmacists Now Treating Thirteen Common Ailments and Renewing Prescriptions for Most Medications
- December 23, 2022: News Release, Premier Doug Ford Names New Chief of Staff
- December 19, 2022: News Release, Ontario Creating More Affordable Child Care Spaces Across the Province and Backgrounder, Ontario Investing in Licensed Child Care
- December 2022: Newsletter, Office of the Ontario Ombudsman